Get archery lessons in Toronto - Contact cardiotrek@gmail.com or visit CardioTrek.ca.

Learn more about archery in Toronto by visiting archerytoronto.ca, or the Toronto Public Archery Range Facebook page
or by joining the Canadian Toxophilite Society.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Old Wooden Shortbow from a Nick Nack Seller on the Street


I purchased the wooden shortbow above for $10 from a nick nack vendor on the street. He was selling old books, nick nacks, a lot of it mostly junk. Usually I only glance at such displays while walking by.

But on Sunday something sparked me to take a closer look this time. And a moment later I was rewarded when I saw a long piece of wood resembling an old wooden shortbow. (Measures 45 inches while strung.)

Picking it up I inspected it. It had a crack near one end and the handle had a crack there too. There was a sticker on the bow saying 20, which I presumed was the price.

The vendor was in conversation with another man and when I approached he switched conversation over to my new find.

And it was bizarre because I was wearing an archery shirt that day too, so he immediately recognized that I must know what I am talking about.

I pointed out the two cracks in the bow and he immediately offered to sell it to me for $10.

Best purchase I've made in awhile!

I took it home, cleaned it up, repaired the cracks with superglue, made a bowstring using twine that I braided together from the two opposite ends (so the middle of the bowstring is more slack / straight), strung it easily...

And then I picked an arrow I felt was suitable and used cardboard box filled with cardboard garbage as a target.

Pow! Right where I was aiming. And I was aiming from the chest, not even doing a full draw as I worried I might break it. I measured the draw distance I am using for it and it is a mere 18 inches.

Now I admit, I was only 3 yards away but it was impressive for an old wooden bow that I had purchased for $10.

I think the bow was originally meant for a kid - like maybe 8 or 9 years old, but the poundage on it even at partial draw feels like roughly 12 lbs.

Which means - drum roll + fanfare - I now have a wooden bow I can shoot indoors in the confines of my apartment and while it isn't a challenge at all (super easy to pull) it gets surprisingly good accuracy for an old bow I got for $10.

*very happy I got it*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post History